Here are a couple of notes, compliments of a video by chef Todd MOhr.
- Fish should have clear eyes. The clearer the eye the fresher the fish.
- The flesh under the gills needs to be redder than older fish. The brighter red gills represent fresher fish.
- Rub your finger against the scales. they should be tight and intact. If the scales come off on your finger, they are not the fresh.
- Fresh fish should smell like salty and fresh.
- A fish shop that smells fresh and like the ocean. It shows a shop that has fish that are turned over quickly and thus are usually fresh.